It’s always useful to have a good salad dressing recipe to hand. My grandmother gave me this classic recipe which was handed down to her by her French grandma. It is very straight forward and tastes good on a simple green salad (especially if the healthy green leaves are accompanied by a nice juicy steak). You can also use it as a dressing for a rice or pasta salad.
Enough for one large salad
- 1 ½ tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons of groundnut, sunflower or other flavourless oil
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Put all the ingredients into a jam jar and shake well until combined.
You can also add chopped herbs from the garden.
This dressing keeps well for a week or so in the fridge.